Couples Intensive Therapy (CIT)
Research has shown that intensive sessions produced much larger effects and significantly less relapse.
Couples Intensive Therapy (CIT) is offered to couples that desire more than just an hour a week of couples therapy or have faced a crisis in their relationship. Sometimes, a relationship becomes stuck or faces a crisis, such as the revealing of an affair and we understand that this requires in-depth counseling. CIT can be used as a supplement to traditional couples therapy or as a stand alone alternative.
Many of the couples that participate in intensives have already made exhaustive efforts at weekly counseling sessions and some have reached the point of giving up. CIT’s consistently produce lasting solutions to serious relationship struggles by exposing and addressing the real root of the problem. Emotional connections are re-established and couples rediscover safety in their relationship with each other leading to true intimacy and genuine healing. Our CIT is personalized to meet your needs and will give you scientifically proven tools to help you reach your goals in therapy.
What you can expect from an Intensive session is 2 days of personalized couples therapy with the expertise of a Certified Gottman Therapist to guide you in fostering greater respect, intimacy and affection. You will be taught how to build and share a deeper connection with each other, to improve conflict management and strengthen your relationship.
2-Day Couples Intensive Therapy includes the following:
- A 30 minute phone consultation for each partner to determine appropriateness for a Couples Intensive and gives the couple an opportunity to ask any questions about the process prior to the CIT.
- The Gottman Relationship Checkup, an online assessment tool composed of 480 questions in 5 categories: Topics include friendship, intimacy, conflict, finances, children, trust, commitment, drug and alcohol screenings, and individual issues that can put a relationship at risk.
- Assessment and Interventions based on Gottman Method Couples Therapy and Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy.
- 12 hours of Gottman Couples Therapy with a Certified Gottman Therapist over 2 days
- A 1 hour follow-up session
- A take home package including:
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman Ph.D. & Nan Silver
- The Gottman Relationship Guides including 6 pocket guides of the tools and strategies used in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- The Sound Relationship House Handout for Couples
- A $200 discount code to The Art and Science of Love Gottman Couples Weekend Workshop at any venue North Carolina
Prior to the Couples Intensive
- 30 minute phone consultation with therapist to discuss goals for therapy and answer any questions about the process. Therapist will also assess appropriateness for intensive therapy and make referrals of other therapeutic strategies if not appropriate.
- Complete the Gottman Relationship Checkup Assessment
- Welcome and initial couples session to review goals for the rest of therapy
- Individual Session with Partner #1
- Individual Session with Partner #2
Lunch on your own
- Review the Relationship Checkup Assessment, including strengths and growth areas in the relationship
- Begin increasing friendship by practicing building love maps, fondness and admiration and turning towards each other
- Begin to address conflict management style and learn new strategies and tools that deepen connection and de-escalate conflict
- Identify and discuss gridlocked conflict issues and underlying dreams, values and goals that maintain gridlock in the relationship
Lunch on your own
- Practice compromise and accepting influence strategies
- Explore relationship goals and begin creating a shared meaning of the relationship
- Develop a plan for maintaining progress and follow up strategies
After the Intensive
- Meet for 50-minute follow-up session
- Schedule additional follow up sessions (an additional session fee applies)
For more information and to schedule a CIT please contact us at 919-795-0101 or email us at email@example.com.
If you are from out of the area, please feel free to contact me and I am happy to assist you with arranging travel plans.